Saturday, January 30, 2010

The life of a theoretical physicist

A quote from theoretical physicist, Sean Carroll, talking with Ira Flatow on Science Friday.

Ira:  Sean, I’m wondering how you spend your time.  I mean, do you sit there thinking big thoughts with a pencil and piece paper?

Sean:  Well that is my day job, yes.  That’s not the only thing I do, but I am a theoretical physicist so I don’t look through telescopes or build equipment.  I don’t even do computer simulations.  I leave that to my graduate students.  And I sit there in Starbucks or at the wine bar with a pencil and paper and I, you know, draw pictures and draw equations and try to see how to fit different ideas together.  Happily, you know, it’s actually a very social occupation where we work together and we bounce ideas off each other so it’s a lot of fun.

Sit around talking physics, drinking wine, doing some math.  File this under jobs to do in future lives.

Science Friday website

No comments: